DISCHARGE • Grave New World LP

Friday, April 11, 2008

Clay Records 1986
This record is the most Punk Rock thing DISCHARGE ever did... period. It's universally hated by fans who expected the band to record the same crusty hardcore album over and over and over. Apparently growth and change aren't things embraced by your typical Punk (not surprising when most of the complainants prolly look like they like they're still living in UK82). Taking risks, following your heart - not the masses, breaking the mold, pushing the limits, testing the status quo, etc. ... these are the true characteristics of Punk, and these define the band that recorded "GNW". Unfortunately, the band became so reviled for their new "un-punk" sound that while on tour in the US they were pushed past their breaking point, and infighting led to their eventual break up. I remember reading a letter from the guitarist (I think) in MRR, apologizing for Cal's vocals and his unwillingness to revert back to the hardcore style that he was so well known for. What a cunt! Why should he bow to audience pressure and let the morons at their shows dictate what's best for him? Don't get me wrong, I love old DISCHARGE, but I don't wanna hear "It's No T.V. Sketch" over and over either. And forget their history... take this album for what it is: a solid, well produced, hard rock/metal album with thoughtful lyrics and great performances (especially in the vocal department). As soon as I hear someone complaining about this record, I know unequivocally that they have no idea what Punk Rock is, or what the fuck they're talking about.
DOWNLOAD: Discharge - Grave New World.rar (81.01 MB)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I can finally throw away that scratchy old cassette I made from a friend's LP 20 years ago. I'd buy this on CD if it was available. Thanks mate, for keeping this alive. :)

Anonymous said...

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE! DISCHARGE HAD BEEN STEADILY GOING IN THIS DIRECTION FOR SOME TIME!WHY SHOULD ANYONE BE SURPRISED THEN AT "G.N.W."? THIS WAS THE ULTIMATE CONCLUSION OF THEIR EXPERIMENTATION WITH METAL THAT BEGAN AFTER BONES LEFT THE GROUP!IN MY VIEW "G.N.W." IS A METAL MASTERPIECE NOT UNLIKE "MASTER OF REALITY" OR "SAD WINGS OF DESTINY"!I ONCE SPOKE TO GARY THEIR DRUMMER ABOUT THIS AND EXPLAINED TO HIM THAT THIS ALBUM WAS VERY CHOICE! HIS MAJOR COMPLAINT WAS THE VOCALS! I TOLD HIM THAT THEY DO TAKE SOME GETTING USED TO BUT YOU SOON FIND THEM PERFECT FOR THE THEME OF THE ALBUM AND IT'S OFF COLOR MESSAGE! BRILLIANT! IT IS STILL ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITES!NOBODY EVER CREATED SOMETHING GREAT WITHOUT OFFENDING MANY AND AS YOU HAVE STATED,THIS IS ESSENTIALLY WHAT PUNK IS ALL ABOUT!

Anonymous said...

Well damn. Great little find here. Thanks for putting this up. Not the best Discharge by a long shot, but an interesting rarely. I haven't seen this in the wild in about a million years. Thanks for the upload. http://kickthehomeless.blogspot.com/

warren T$F said...

I love this, but I defy anyone to tell me a single word he's saying!

The next two albums were pretty metal too, but you can tell what's being said, no screaching. I like em better.

great blog by the way

Dave Ballantyne said...

Came across your blog whilst looking for the other 2 metal albums "massacre Divine" and "Shooting Up the World" I like what you say about "Grave...." and surely it's influence cannot be denied now if you have heard Thisclose? I have to say though this was the first discharge album to come out when i was a kid i had backtracked everything else and i have to say after blowing 2 weeks pocket money on it i was beyond distraught! It was terrible, now with older ears i can appreciate it for what it is a fairly decent and accomplished rock album but those vocals were a shock and still are hard to take. I personally love the Price of silence - Ignorance era discharge and i really wish they had done an album of that style before hitting us with "Grave...." it was a shocking departure even by the standard of preceding single "Ignorance"!

Alcolm X said...

I agree completely - "The Price Of Silence" era stuff is their best, and "Born To Die In The Gutter" may be my favourite song of all time. The perfect Metal/Punk crossover. Now I'm on the hunt for Thisclose!

SLAUGHTER OF INNOCENTS said...

not a fan of metal that's why I never liked this lp I do like early Metal/Punk discharge before this lp I realy like there back to there roots sound of today its total different then there early stuff witch I love sorry just can't give this lp any love