SPEED N' SPIKES VOL.1 7"

Friday, June 6, 2008

Relapse Records 2008
After I bought this record, I had to ask myself: why'd I buy a record by 2 bands that I don't really like? I was caught up in a record buying frenzy, so I guess I have an excuse. TOXIC HOLOCAUST is a band that I like everything about... except the music. The concept is great (combining crusty Punk and Thrash Metal), the aesthetic is great, artwork: great, one-man-band: great, everything: great. Right? Things start to fall apart when you have to listen to their recordings... they're always too clean, no grit, no balls... no thanks. The music is actually really good, but the production let's 'em down every time. The sound on "City Of A Million Graves" is a bit better than Joel Grind's usual output, but it's still too clean, and he's used a fucking drum machine... lame! The song itself is great though, tonnes of excellent riffs, and the vocals sound like they were lifted directly from the ENGLISH DOGS' "Forward Into Battle" record. I take issue with BLÜDWÜLF for one simple reason... they're douchebags. Here's the story: through myspace, one of the guys in this band requested doing a trade: a couple of shirts that I'd printed for some BLÜDWÜLF material. OK cool, I sent him 2 t-shirts and received nothing in return. I sent him many messages asking where his pakage was, and I got no reply. 7 or 8 months later he messaged me and said that he'd found the package that was supposed to be sent to me, and that he would send it straight away. Again, nothing. So this is how I came to the douchebag conclusion... fair right? Musically they're less douchebaggy... like TOXIC HOLOCAUST they combine crusty Punk and Thrash Metal, but their execution is sloppy and loose. The songs are really cool though, and they don't suffer from the lame production that plagues TOXIC HOLOCAUST.
DOWNLOAD: SpeedNSpikesVol1.rar (22.11 MB)

8 comments:

jeffen said...

Excellent blog!

Thanks for your help on the Dik Van Dykes post which is now up!

Anonymous said...

No problem! Glad to help out.

Anonymous said...

Hey! "Forward into Battle" was fuckin' awesome.

Anonymous said...

I concur, but my fave was always "Mad Punx...". And "Where Legend Began" was killer too.

Anonymous said...

Regarding the douche bag statement, I recorded these and a few other tracks for two other splits. I was told I'd get a copy of each, so far I've been given one. That's just the way they rol I guess...

Anonymous said...

I've done tons of trades over the years, and BLUDWULF hold the distinction of being the only no good lying sacks-of-shit to not come through on their end of the bargain. Impressive!

Anonymous said...

Bluwulf ripped me off for $50 as well.

Anonymous said...

really b a d