2136 Murray Ave, 2nd Floor
I had a couple of days off, so I decided to make the 4 hour trek down to Pittsburgh and check out the fabled Jerry's Records. I'm such a record nerd that my heart was racing as I passed the unassuming entrance and climbed the stairs... the place is gigantic! Easily the biggest vinyl-only shop I've ever seen, but I found the Metal section quickly and began the hunt. Fingers flipping at top speed, every nerve atwitter, but wait... is this it? Crappy GIUFFRIA, VIC VERGAT, and HONEYMOON SUITE records... is this the best Jerry's had to offer!?! I frantically searched the other sections trying to find something to make the drive worthwhile. There certainly wasn't anything mindblowing, and I only found one record in the Metal section worth buying, but in the end I came away with 6 record at around $25, so it wasn't too bad:
• MISS DAISY "Pizza Connection" LP: Stupid name, album title, and cover, but produced by Fast Eddie Clarke, so hopefully there's something redeeming about it.
• JINGO DE LUNCH "Cursed Earth" LP: I kinda liked these guys on some of the old Hellhound comps, and it looks like there's THIN LIZZY and BAD BRAINS covers on it.
• NIGHTWING "Black Summer" LP: Awesome artwork!
• SEDUCER "Seducer" LP: Sealed copy of the crappy band featured on the Holland Heavy Metal sampler.
• SOUND BARRIER "Hollywood (Down On Your Luck)" 12": The only thing I found in the Metal section. Great band covering an even better band... should be good.
I also grabbed MARVIN GAYE Live... but we won't get into that here. So... Jerry's is impressive in size, but the stock is just a huge selection of the same old shit - there's no chance in Hell that I'd make that trip again just for Jerry's.
I made a 2 more stops on the hunt for records while I was in the 'burgh. First was Wicked Discs (406 S Craig St. / (412) 682-5007 / www.myspace.com/wickeddiscs) which is a Punk/Metal specialty shop. It's cool, but small, and quite honestly pales in comparison to Hits & Misses. I did find better Metal there though, and came away with a GRAVE DIGGER LP, and a KAZJUROL 7". Finally I dropped by Dave's Music Mine (1210 East Carson Street / (412) 488-8800) but their vinyl is relegated to the basement, and there's really not much there... 'cept for some band called BANSHEE on Metal Blade.