SAINT VITUS • The Walking Dead EP

Monday, May 26, 2008

SST Records 1985
That DiANNO record was so godawful that I have to cleanse my palette with something good, and it don't get much better than this! "The Walking Dead" was a stop-gap EP between the first two VITUS LPs, and it contains 3 of my all time favourite SAINT VITUS tracks. "Darkness" starts things off with vocalist Scott Reagers' unmistakable howl "Welcome to darkneeeessssss" and is a quick reminder of why he was the only VITUS singer. I loved Wino, but I couldn't fully appreciate him 'til I heard THE OBSESSED years later... Reagers was the man for SAINT VITUS (really cool that they got back together with him for their swan song "Die Healing"). Next up is the classic "White Stallions", and I'm relatively sure that it's a different version than the one on "Hallow's Victim", but I've never taken the time to compare the two. "The Walking Dead" might be my all-time favourite VITUS track... it's one of their slowest, longest, and most memorable early songs. The lyrics are spectacular ("The 13th of November/A haunted Friday night/The graveyard gates swing open/Crypts all spring to life") and I absolutely love the chick-chick-chick part in the main riff. Apparently people blamed SAINT VITUS for "ruining" BLACK FLAG when they put out "My War", and their influence is undeniable cuz I'm pretty sure there's a chick-chick-chick riff just like the one in "The Walking Dead" somewhere on the second side of "My War"... but seriously, who wants to listen to it to make sure? Not me. If you've never heard SAINT VITUS (shame on you!) this is a great place to start, cuz these 3 songs encapsulate everything that is great about the band. "Hold your breath baby, we're roamin' here tonight!"
DOWNLOAD: Saint Vitus - The Walking Dead.rar (37.83 MB)

4 comments:

Erich said...

What a record, indeed. Although I lime the s/t first LP best, followed by "Born too late" (the new singer and some increased fairty-tale-metal-with-drunkard-lyrics make this very different from the band's first records) - this EP is sooooo dark it always makes me turn up the lights.

Erich said...

"lime" - haha, meant "like". Bit hung over here. You know, "Dying inside" style.

Anonymous said...

All Vitus rules, regardless of the singer. I don't think they put out one bad album. Born Too Late and V are their best two, in my opinion, but they all crush. Nice post here. I'm glad I never sold off my copy of this EP...

Anonymous said...

Thanx a lot!