UNCLE SAM • Heaven Or Hollywood LP

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Skeller Records 1987
Best album cover ever? OK maybe not, but you gotta admit that it's pretty great, and if cover art is supposed to be intriguing and memorable (and it is) then Heaven Or Hollywood is an undeniable success. Unfortunately I think more people are familiar with the cover than they are with the rawk laid down by these four Rochester reprobates. For instance: I was under the mistaken impression that UNCLE SAM were a questionable Southern Rock/Metal mash-up, but this is pure and simple Garage Rock in the smacked out vein of JOHNNY THUNDERS and THE JONESES. The vocals are snotty, the guitars reverb drenched, and the attitude is pure Punk Rock... really not what I expected based on the group shot, and all the press they received from Metal journos back-in-the-day. Gotta say that I'm pleasantly surprised. This is rough and tumble cock rock the way it oughta sound - no big budget West Coast sheen here, just bare bone Rock stripped down to it's core.
DOWNLOAD: UncleSam-HeavenOrHollywood.rar (65.53 MB)

6 comments:

Aesop said...

This is great, kind of like Agony Bag meets Overkill LA meets the power pop of The Vapors.

Erich said...

Plus the cover, mater, the cover!

Erich said...

mater = mate, haha

Anonymous said...

I bought this record a few years ago and had pretty much the same reaction. I don't usually buy records with any kind of scratches, but this one has a real ugly one through one song making that song unplayable.... still that cover.

Anonymous said...

Hi ! I'm forty years old and this is one of my colt album ! my Mum recently throw it to the dustbin. You rule man ! Thanks a lot !

Anonymous said...

There is also a censored version of the cover.Bikini! Great record censored or not!!