DRIVE • Characters In Time LP

Friday, February 5, 2010

Rampage Records 1988
Based on the shoddy album cover, I assumed that DRIVE were gonna chauffeur me through the dim, well worn streets of generic, cliched, low-rent Metal straight to the heart Boredom Town... population: me. Thankfully messrs. Chavez et al. had no intention of treading that unfortunate path. Characters In Time may be ensconced in that abysmal cover, but the grooves contain top-notch modern Metal (by late 80s standards) that rivals OLIVER MAGNUM, bests WARRIOR, and is akin to a heavier QUEENSRYCHE. Mildly technical, highly melodic, vocally harmonized, and always engaging, DRIVE's debut may have taken the fast lane to the delete bin, but it's definitely worth a kick at the tires.
DOWNLOAD: Drive-CharactersInTime.rar (79.73 MB)

7 comments:

Zealot Crusader said...

Can't download it. Link leads to "Firefox can't find server at blah, blah, blah..." Mediafire isn't down, because your other links still work, so it may be something wrong with the encoding, or just those magical mayhem-causing internet pixies.. :P

Alcolm X said...

Thanks ZC, the link was effed up. Should be good now.

Zealot Crusader said...

Cool. I knew it was those damned pixies... and may I request or suggest a good Vinyl rip of S.A. Slayer "Go For The Throat"? It sounds odd to ask here, but I didn't know where else to post it. I bought a terrible bootleg CD of it that had what sounded like a "processed" Vinyl rip with removed pops and rumble, but really bad distortion on the high-end frequencies, making all the cymbal crashes and whatnot have a strange static-laden sound. I looked for rips elsewhere, but they are all from a shitty cassette and worse than what I have. If not, it's alright, since I can always listen to that "other" Slayer band. You know... the one all the Shopping Mall Metalcore kids with the funny haircuts like after hearing "that one song of theirs'" on Guitar Hero III. =D

Alcolm X said...

Unfortunately you're gonna have to stick with S.M. SLAYER (Shopping Mall Slayer) cuz I don't have the S.A. SLAYER record. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

In that case, you might be interested in what I have. Even though the bootleg CD I have sounds somewhat distorted, maybe I can send you a copy of it, because it's still better than any other rip I've found on any other blog claiming to have rare metal rips on it. The high-end has some static in it(mainly just cymbals and sometimes when the singer pronounces the letter "S"), but it's listenable. The same bootlegger did a CD pressing of two Hexx albums as well. They were "No Escape" and "Under The Spell" on one CD, with the same weird processing distortion. They came from a dude named Dave Weber, who had an obscure CD/record shop in his garage somewhere in West Virginia, but that's another story...

Michael said...

Yes, this was a pleasant surprise when I picked it up used at Disc Union in Tokyo. It was a couple hundred yen (about 2 bucks) and I figured I wouldn't be out anything if it sucked.
Well, it didn't suck.
Highly recommended for all the reasons you listed.

Anonymous said...

Could you re-up this, please? Thanks !!!