BAPHOMET • Morbid Realities Demo

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Private/Indie 1989
BAPHOMET were one of those bands that I could never take seriously... not exactly sure why, they just seemed like a sad joke - even after they signed to Peaceville (a far greater accomplishment than any band I've ever played in could manage). They were super friendly, genuine guys, but as a band they were completely ghetto. Having said this... over the years I've discovered that being wrong is something that I'm really good at, and whatever I thought about BAPHOMET back in the day was way off base, cuz this demo is "sick dude" (in the parlance of the time and place). It's simple, barbaric Death Metal in the vein of "Morbid Visions" era SEPULTURA... and the vocals fucking rule! They have a South American feel to 'em (no not samba or merengue), with a bit of Tom Angelripper thrown in for good measure. He almost lends a Black Metal feel to proceedings, and I chuckle every time I hear his fucked-up ghoulish laughter at this beginning of "Infernal Invocation" - priceless. I find most Death Metal completely forgettable, but every track on "Morbid Realities" is memorable for something. It's the kinda stuff that might not be 100% stellar throughout, but every song has at least one cool part that you look forward to - a killer riff, or lyric, or drum fill, or whatever. Totally enjoyable basic US Death Metal - get it!
DOWNLOAD: Baphomet-MorbidRealitiesDemo.rar (37.51 MB)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sucks

Anonymous said...

hahaha yes!!!!
Satan - the power source!