DYOXEN • Apocalyptic Dreams Demo

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Private/Indie 1987
I found DYOXEN's First Among Equals record disappointing when it was released - today I don't remember why exactly, but I'm sure it's got something to do with being one of those "I only like the demo" guys that Metal Inquisition despise so much. Sorry, but it's true - this, the notorious London ON thrashers' first demo, is pretty damn killer and a superior offering to their 1990 album. After an unintentionally PILEDRIVER-esque intro and obligatory instrumental time-waster the band finally gets to the good shit: 4 tracks of tight, moderately complex Thrash that's not unlike Boston's mighty WARGASM, and thanks to Michael Scott Saunders' vocal lines and tasteful guitar playing, there's even some hint of melody amongst the intense thrash'n'bash. Excellent stuff - highly recommended.
DOWNLOAD: Dyoxen-ApocalypticDreams.rar (36.73 MB)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, sometimes the demo IS better than the full-length! Nothing wrong with calling it like you see it- it's only a problem when the way you see it is that the demo is ALWAYS BETTER. For example, the "Reign In Blood" demos, fucking awful.

Alcolm X said...

Agreed. I tend to prefer whatever I heard first. I absolutely loved the CONFESSOR demos, and thought the Earache album was a let down. If I'd heard 'em the other way around, I'd prolly think the demos were crap.

Alcolm X said...

...of course that doesn't always hold true. I thought MORBID ANGEL were the worst band and/or the biggest joke before I heard Altars Of Madness.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I thought they were ok when they played live, though for a club, the bass player acted like he was trying to motivate a crowd at Maple leafGardens.

I loved their other demo tape,and the album seemed sort of a diappointment. Very polished.professional, but did nothing for me.

Thanks for uploading this,others have asked me for years for this tape.

e said...

Greetings-

A total aside to this demo tape, you've got a different view/take on metal, and posting thoughts and whatnot of the more obscure stuff. I like that, refreshing. If possible, can you scare up "metal over america" an obscure Mausoleum records comp.

Cheers!

Alcolm X said...

I saw Metal Over America last weekend at the Buffalo Record Show but passed on it. Bummer, but I wasn't really in the mood for blowing money on records, and only bought a couple of things.

e said...

Hey no harm done :) It's more a matter of it you get a chance, or pass by it on another journal.

Cheers!